The “low course”, campo de abajo, used for the championship, is the most competitive 18 hole golf course of the Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro and has a lot of history behind it. Designed and built in 1914 by the great Harry Colt, several holes still maintain the original routing (first, third, fourth holes). Tom Simpson also left his mark in a great number of holes in the back nine of the low course. But the main work of the actual layout belongs to Trent Jones Jr and his assistant Kyle Phillips who, in 1998, redesigned the entire couse as it is today, a tight and competitive track very well integrated in a centenary holm oak forest with lots of interesting shots from the tee and greens with a lot of movement. The “Sierra de Guadarrama” mountains in the background complete a marvelous setup for the golfers to enjoy.