MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF HISTORY ILLUSTRATE REAL CLUB DE LA PUERTA DE HIERRO RANK AND STANDING, CONSOLIDATED AS ONE OF THE BEST COURSES ON THE INTERNATIONAL GOLFING SCENE.
THE CLUB’S ORIGINS
The Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro was founded in 1895 under the name of Madrid Polo Club and its original location was in the heart of Madrid, adjacent to the old Castellana horse racetrack.
Golf was originally played at the club in 1901 and in 1908, the club changed its name to Madrid Polo-Golf Club after J.H. Taylor laid out Spain’s first 18-hole golf course on the Cuarenta Fanegas area of Madrid.
In 1909, HRH King Alfonso XIII leased the property where the club is currently located to encourage the creation of a country club with polo, golf and tennis activities. The club was renamed as the Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro due to its close proximity to an iron gate which granted access to the royal grounds of El Pardo. The new facilities opened in april 1914, with the inauguration of the 18-hole golf course laid out by English architect H.S. Colt.
Since its opening, the original golf course has undergone many improvements and enlargements by Tom Simpson (1924 & 1946), John Harris (1966), Robert Trent Jones Sr. (1998) and Kyle Phillips (2000).
The Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro has a long standing tradition in the organization of golf tournaments. The promotion of competitive golf lies at the heart of the club and over 100 years, its amateur and professional golfers have garnered an impressive list of national and international victories.
The Campeonato de Puerta de Hierro (1907), which recently held its 100th anniversary is Spain’s oldest golf tournament. The club also sponsored the birth of the International Amateur Championship (1907) and the Copa Nacional Puerta de Hierro (1915), two of the main amateur competitions in the Spanish calendar. International matches have been held here as early as 1924 (Spain-France) and as recently as 2005 (Spain–England), as well as other major amateur tournaments such as the Eisenhower Trophy (1970), the Vagliano Trophy (1981), the European Team Championships (1991) and the Michel Bonallack Trophy (2000).
The club has also sponsored professional golf, giving birth to the Spanish Open in 1912 and organizing an additional 27 editions of Spain’s major tournaments. More recently, Puerta de Hierro has been a regular venue of the Madrid Open, part of the european tour, which was held in the club every year from 1968 until 1993.
REAL CLUB DE LA PUERTA DE HIERRO
Avenida de Miraflores, s/n
28035 – Madrid
Telf: (+34) 91 316 17 45
The Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro, located on National Trust land, is located four kilometers from the city center, with two entrances: from Avenida Miraflores or Sinesio Delgado Street and the old road to El Pardo.
A few meters from the Club is the monumental Puerta de Hierro, made in times of Ferdinand VI, according to the 1751 draft military engineer D. Francisco de Nangle.
Approximately 30 minutes is the Madrid-Barajas Airport, from which you reach the Club through the ring roads M-30 and M-40.
In Sinesio Delgado Street, near the door of the Club, there is a bus stop 82, with the start line in the Plaza de Moncloa and 200 meters, on Highway M-30, has also stop 83, also from Plaza de Moncloa, in the neighborhood of Argüelles.